Thursday, December 30, 2010

FO: Grandma's Shawl

My grandmother is always freezing, so I wanted to make her something for Christmas that would keep her warm. She generally wears sweaters around the house, so I decided that a shawl she could drape over one of those sweaters would add a nice extra layer of warmth.

My grandma is a little difficult to knit for- she has a tendency to declare things “too nice to wear.” I wanted to make her something nice that she would still wear, so I chose a pattern that’s mostly very simple garter stitch, with a pretty edging. I also chose a dark beige yarn, to make it a nice, every-day wear scarf. I knit it in Knitpicks Comfy Sport, so that it would be washable.

The body of the shawl was really easy, and went fairly quickly. The edging, on the other hand, took forever. I had some trouble starting it, because I just could not visualize how the steps I was doing were possibly going to make this edging, but I finally just went with it, and lo and behold, I had a pretty edging! It took so long to crank out, but I love the look of it!

Pattern: Annas Shawl

Yarn: Knitpicks Comfy Sport

Colorway: Cashew

Needles: US6 and US4

The Verdict: I love the way this turned out- the drape is beautiful, and I think this is perfect for my grandmother. I probably would not knit the exact same thing for myself, but I may make one in blue for me, instead. I’d wait awhile before doing so, though- I really don’t want to do any more of that sawtooth edging any time soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment