Tuesday, December 28, 2010

FO: Fall Breeze Shawl

This was my mother's Christmas present.

My mother wanted to steal my bed shawl (keeps my shoulders warm when I’m reading/knitting in bed!) from me. I of course wasn’t going to surrender it, so I decided to give her one of her own for Christmas. I wanted something wide and long, so that it would keep her nice and warm, and a rectangular shawl, rather than a triangular one. I settled on the Fall Breeze Shawl.

The pattern recommended Caron Simply Soft, and since I wanted a washable yarn, that seemed like a good choice. I chose a color that would match my parents’ bedroom.

The shawl was going quickly at first, but then I got to the huge stockinette portion. Feet of stockinette is so boring, and the shawl got too big to be a travelling project, so I could only work on it at home. Additionally, I was getting really, really tired of working with 100% acrylic.

The pattern called for 1.5 balls of the yarn. It took me 2.3 balls. The pattern was a little ambiguous; it said to knit the stockinette until the shawl is the desired length, and that the designer’s was 55”. I assumed that that meant I should knit the stockinette until the shawl was 55” and then work the final lacy section; I’m beginning to suspect that the designer meant that her whole shawl was 55,” and that may be where the yarn amount discrepancy occurred. This caused a little bit of a problem, because I needed to go buy more yarn- although Caron Simply Soft is not supposed to have a dye lot, you can kind of see the difference. It’s not too terrible, though, and I didn’t have much choice, so I went with it.

I also had a little bit of help on this project. I took it home over the Thanksgiving holiday to work on it. I was in my bedroom, watching tv on my laptop and knitting away, when the dogs decided to come offer their assistance and test out the partially-finished shawl’s merits. As you can see, Mia decided it would make a good pillow, while Napoleon thought it was an excellent blanket. I made sure to make it long enough for a dog to snuggle under the ends while Mom uses it, if she feels like sharing.

Pattern: Fall Breeze Shawl

Yarn: Caron Simply Soft

Needles: US8

The Verdict: The end result looks great, and I love the way it turned out. However, I definitely do not think I’d knit this again- I got so incredibly bored during the stockinette portion, and it was way too big and heavy to transport!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your comments. I will look at the pattern and rewrite it and remove the ambiguity about the length. It was my first written pattern, hence the bad writing and long stockinette portion. I wanted something mindless to knit. :) Thank you so much for making it though. The blue color is beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful shawl! I'd like to do a really simple one for my Mom but, I'm a beginner and I've only made very simple scarves. That long stockinette part sounds perfect for me because I could watch t.v. and not lose track! Could a total beginner handle this one? Thanks so much. I'm sure your Mom loved it! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete