Wednesday, January 12, 2011

WIP Wednesday

I spent most of this last weekend knitting. I finished up two projects (FO posts to come!), and cast on for a few more.

First, however, I want to share a little anecdote with you. My Dad was up here visiting my Grandparents this last weekend. Apparently, Grandpa spent all of dinner Friday night shivering in his thin sweater vest. They reminded him about the one I made him for Christmas (he’s 96 and forgets things sometimes), and he wore it out to dinner with all of us on Saturday. It fit him wonderfully, looked great, and he didn’t shiver once. He kept remarking all through dinner about how warm it was! As much of a pain as that vest was to knit, that made it all worth it.

And now, on to the WIPs!

First up, we have a pair of socks: the famous Monkey sock pattern in Malabrigo Sock, colorway Aguas. This yarn was massively on sale so I had to order a skein. I was expecting it to be a little more blue and a little less green, but that’s okay. It’s so soft and wonderful to work with! I’ve finished two repeats on the leg of the first sock so far.

I also cast on for the Katika shawlette. I tried really, really hard to make it work, but for kept messing up something. I don’t know what happened! I think it was user error, rather than a problem in the pattern, but after ripping it all out for the fourth time, I gave up and decided that the Katika and I are not meant to be.In desperation, I cast on a nice, easy project that wouldn’t frustrate me: An Everlasting Bagstopper (I guess I’m really into Knitty patterns this week!). I’m not very far along (just a few inches on the bottom), but it’s nice and easy. You may recognize the yarn- it’s leftover from my Grandpa’s sweater vest.

Last but not least, the two skeins of Malabrigo Silky Merino (I guess I’m also really into Malabrigo this week!) in my stash have been calling to me, so I also cast on for a scarf. I’ve made Pipp’s Openwork Eyelet Scarf before (Christmas 2009’s gift for my Grandma), but am enjoying working on it once again. It’s a really good pattern for a variegated yarn, such as my Mal Silky, because it breaks up the variegation and prevents the pooling from looking awful. It’s also so soft! I’m not very far into it yet, but I’m enjoying it so far, and I keep stopping to pet my scarf because it’s so soft!

This is part of Tami's Amis Work In Progress Wednesdays. Head on over to see what everyone else is working on!

7 comments:

  1. That's a terrific story about your grandfather -- doesn't it feel great when someone appreciates something you made just for them?

    Sorry about the Katika shawl. Some patterns are just not Meant to Be, at least not for right now. In the meantime, enjoy those gorgeous socks and the yummy purple scarf. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great story about your grandfather. I made a cable vest for grandfather and my grandmother said she had to trick to get it off so she could wash it.

    I like the colors of your socks and scarf. I'm still Malabrigo virgin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your story. It is so nice when the hand knits are well appreciated! And your projects are all beautiful! Mmmm, malabrigo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great when knitted gifts come in handy and are appreciated as well. Good job! That is a really lovely scarf, the colors are so pretty. Malabrigo is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome story about your grandfather. I bet it felt great to see him warm and cozy at dinner! Love the color of the Malabrigo you're using for the scarf. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so impressed with the quantity of beautiful items you have finished in recent weeks. And I really enjoyed reading about your grandfather. How sweet he was to appreciate his vest so much!!! I remember you made him a scarf I really liked, too. :-)

    Love your WIPs and that Malabrigo scarf yarn is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad that your grandfather was able to enjoy the vest you knit him... I love it when people are happy wearing what I made them.

    Love Malabrigo! The color of the socks is just gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete