Friday, January 21, 2011

FO: Biscuits & Bones Dog Sweater

My first finished object of 2011 was a Christmas present that should have been done in 2010: A sweater for the dog. She gets really cold after she gets bathed, and I can’t stand to see her shivering! I chose a beautiful dark teal color of Berroco Vintage. It’s soft and warm, and makes a nice, thick fabric.

The pattern I chose, Biscuits & Bones, was admittedly rather challenging. It has two different cable patterns, neither of which is simple. I found it easier to create and copy paste the rows from the two patterns together, so that each row’s directions would show everything that would need to be done, rather than directing me back and forth to different patterns.

One of the biggest problems I had was trying to out-think the pattern. I saw "moss stitch," and thought that I vaguely remember reading somewhere that moss stitch is the same thing as seed stitch. I thought the pattern was written wrong, tried to fix it, ended up messing up, end had to unravel some parts. Finally, I gave in and just followed the pattern and, guess what? It turned out perfectly!

Pattern B makes some really cool diamond shapes in the center of the sweater, while pattern A forms the biscuits and bones for which the pattern is named.

I absolutely love how this turned it. It fits her perfectly, and it is so beautiful! The pattern is a little complicated, but really satisfying for a project this size. If I tried to do something this complicated in a sweater my size, I think I would have gotten frustrated and never finished.

Pattern: Biscuits and Bones Dog Coat

Yarn: Berroco Vintage

Needles: US7 (Body), US6 (edging and neck)

The Verdict: The pattern was great, and the yarn was absolutely lovely. I’ll definitely be knitting with it again!

1 comment:

  1. You did a great job, even if Santa was a little late for your cute little dog, I'm sure he appreciates such a nice sweater. Dog clothing is very important for our little friends especially when is cold, so your present is the best he could get:)

    ReplyDelete