Monday, June 15, 2009

FO: Celestial Mitts

Way back in January, I won a Dye Dreams Celestial Mitt Kit from The Martha's Vineyard Fiber Farm Blog. I finally got these gorgeous fingerless mitts all knit up.

I loved working with this yarn. It's a blend of Alpaca, Merino Wool, and Silk, and is absolutely heavenly. It's not splitty at all, and it frogs well. I'll definitely be buying this yarn again; however, I'm going to have to wait a bit until I manage to actually get a job and have money to spend on nice luxury yarns. If only someone would pay me to knit…

The pattern was great for the right mitt. After I wove in all of the loose ends and tried on the left mitt, however, I realized that the thumb gusset (which I had knit exactly where the pattern told me to) was in the wrong place, making the cabled panel off-center. I had tried on the right mitt before weaving in the ends, and figured that since that one worked, the left one should too- I need to stop making assumptions, apparently. Look at that cable pulling way towards the thumb:

Luckily, I had enough yarn left over (this was a fairly generous amount for the gloves) to knit a third mitt. On this third one, instead of putting the thumb at three stitches into the round, I instead put it one stitch before the end- and it was perfect. Look how much more centered it is:

Overall, I'm very happy with the finished product. Although I have to say that I was frustrated with the thumb problem for the left mitt, they knit up so fast and the yarn was so yummy that I didn't mind making an extra one too much. I loved the cables- turning them in towards each other was a nice touch in the pattern, and because there are only two cables (as opposed to cables all the way around), they aren't a pain to do. And aren't they pretty?

No comments:

Post a Comment